Second Annual On-Line Charity Auction Will Benefit The Jackie Robinson Foundation
New York – February 21, 2006 – The Jackie Robinson Foundation (JRF) today announced that Tom Brokaw, Spike Lee, Virginia Wade,Wendy Williams, Sean “Diddy” Combs, Louis Gossett, Jr., Yogi Berra and Rachel Robinson are just a few of the celebrities who have donated items for the Foundation’s second annual on-line charity auction. All funds raised will benefit the Foundation’s Educational and Leadership Development Program.
Starting on March 6th (2:00pm EST) through March 16th (2:00pm EST), visitor’s to the eBay website (www.ebay.com/jackierobinson) will have the opportunity to bid on a wide array of once in a lifetime experiences and memorabilia, including lunch with Tom Brokaw, joining Spike Lee for a New York Knicks game, spending an evening with Dodger legend Don Newcombe, including attending a Dodger batting practice, sitting courtside at the United States Open Women’s Finals, receiving a tennis lesson from Wimbledon champion Virginia Wade, and taking a behind-the scenes tour of The Late Show with David Letterman.
The list of items is drawn from some of the most sought after collections – replica Brooklyn Dodgers jerseys signed by greats such as Hank Aaron and Sean “Diddy” Combs, a Lance Armstrong signed racing jersey, a helmet signed by 38 winning Super Bowl quarterbacks and a ball signed by Yankee legends Mickey Mantle and Joe DiMaggio. And car enthusiasts will not want to miss the chance to drive off in the new 2007 Jaguar XK.
“We were inspired by the success of our inaugural charity auction, and overwhelmed by the many positive responses we have once again received to this wonderful opportunity,” said Della Britton Baeza, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Jackie Robinson Foundation. “We are heartened by the generosity of those who have donated items, and look forward to attracting a new group of fans to Jackie Robinson’s living legacy and the work that we do at the Jackie Robinson Foundation.”
Founded in 1973, the Jackie Robinson Foundation is a public, not-for-profit national organization launched by Rachel Robinson as a vehicle to perpetuate the memory of Jackie Robinson and his achievements. It provides four year college scholarships as well as education and leadership development opportunities for students of color with strong capabilities, but limited financial resources. The Foundation strives to assure that the legacy of Jackie Robinson’s commitment to social justice will be carried forth in the personal, community and institutional lives of these individuals as they assume leadership roles throughout society.
This academic year (2005-2006), JRF is providing more than $1.8 million in scholarship support to 266 Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholars representing 33 states. Enrolled in 93 different institutions, Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholars attend some of the most prestigious colleges and universities in the United States and maintain a 97% graduation rate, highest among comparable programs.
The Foundation has teamed with Kompolt to manage the listing. Kompolt is the highly regarded “go-to” online auction agency for creating successful, high value, and high profile promotional and charity auctions for top brand companies and nonprofits. For more information, go to kompolt.com.
For additional information on the Foundation, its programs and events, please visit www.jackierobinson.org. For a complete list of prizes and items, see the table below.
“Stars Pitch for Education” Auction List
* Lunch with Tom Brokaw
* Backstage Tour of and Two Tickets to The Late Show with David Letterman
* Sit with Spike Lee at a Knicks Game
* The Great Tennis Experience: Four Tickets to the 2006 US Open Women’s Finals and Tennis Lessons with Virginia Wade
* Round of Golf for Four at Jasna Polana
* Night with Don Newcombe including Dodgers Batting Practice
* Spend an Hour on Set with Mike and The Mad Dog
* Lunch with Barry Salzberg, Managing Partner, Deloitte & Touche USA LLP
* Napa Valley VIP Wine Tour
* New York Fashion Week in September 2007
* Repechage Spa Fantasy Package
* Hang Out with Wendy Williams in Studio & Dinner with Wendy
* Four Tickets To a Dave Matthews Concert of Your Choice plus a Dave Matthews VIP prize pack.
* Dinner with actor Louis Gossett, Jr. at Nobu Restaurant in New York City
* New Jaguar XK
* Signed Baseball Jersey by Joe Morgan
* Derek Jeter Hand Signed Game Used Batting Glove Shadowbox
* Ted Williams hand Signed Game Model Baseball Bat in a Glass Display Case
* Mickey Mantle & Joe DiMaggio 1951 Vintage Luxury Shadowbox with Two hand Signed Baseballs
* Super Bowl Winning Quarterbacks Helmet Hand Signed by 38 Super Bowl Winning Quarterbacks
* Limited Edition of 10 Manning Football Legacy Three Helmet Set with Hand Signed Colts Helmet by Peyton, Giants Helmet by Eli & Saints Helmet by Archie
* Super Bowl 1 Lombardi Trophy Hand Signed by Hall of Famer Bart Starr
* Masters Champions Custom Hand Crafted Shadowbox with Signed Masters Scorecards by Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus, & Arnold Palmer
* Lance Armstrong 7-Time Tour De France Winner Hand Signed Team Racing Jersey Framed in Museum Quality Woods
* Vince Lombardi “The Greatest Speech” Motivational Photograph Collage with Hand Signed Green Bay Packers Payroll Check
* Michael Jordan Hand Signed Authentic Basketball in Display Case
* Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier Dual Hand Signed “Time Life Magazine Cover” Custom Shadowbox
* Tiger Woods Hand Signed “The Putt” Film Strip from The Masters
* Jack Nicklaus Hand Signed Tournament Model Putter Shadowbox with Personal Letter Addressed to Winning Bidder Signed by Jack
* Arnold Palmer Hand Signed Tournament Model Putter Shadowbox with Personal Letter Addressed to Winning Bidder Signed by Arnie
* All-Time Greats Hank Aaron & Willie Mays Hand Signed Two Baseball Set in Display Case
* Willie Mays “1956 World Series–The Catch” Hand Signed Framed Photograph
* Limited Edition 1955 World Series Pennant – Signed by Rachel Robinson
* Jackie Robinson 1955 Jersey Signed by Sean “Diddy” Combs